How to Post a GIF on Instagram a platform that was born to fulfill a very simple function: share the photos you took from your smartphone. Over the years, this social network has been expanding, offering many more options.
Just yesterday we recommended a cross-platform application to use your messages from Windows, macOS, and Linux, and today we are going to explain several easy ways to share GIFs on Instagram.
What is a GIF?
GIF stands for “ Graphic Exchange Format. And we can often see it over the Internet. Have you seen headings or texts that shine, sparkle, and seem moving? This is one type of GIF that contains minimal animated movements.
GIF images can also be images that move in just a short period of time from one to five seconds, like a dog walking.
Download time is limited to 15 seconds, although it is highly recommended to use up to 6 seconds, and the file size should be no more than 100 megabytes. Again, it is desirable that it be up to 8 seconds, and the video quality is up to 720p, but try to keep it at 480p.
Also Read:How To Factory Reset PS4
How to post a GIF on Instagram
Post GIF via Mac or Windows
Since Instagram does not support GIF files, one of the workarounds is that we must manually convert the file to an MP4 file to do this, just follow these two options:
- You can use a third-party application, which then needs to be installed as an aqueduct or
- Visit a website that converts your file for free, like ezgif.com , and www.freefileconvert.com
How to install a third-party application or Flume
- Go to the App Store> type Flume in the search bar> select “Download”. You can also use Flume directly to post GIFs on your Instagram, just like you post something on Instagram and connect it to your Facebook account.
Use Giphy to upload the GIF In Instagram
- Download the free GIPHY app
- Open app
- Find the right GIF
- Click on the button with three dots in the first row on the right
- Select Instagram Icon
- Choose where to publish the file in the Feed or History
If you’ve ever seen a cool GIF video somewhere, and remember its contents, you can find it by keywords. Giphy service is one of the most powerful libraries of GIF- files on the Internet, here you can find almost any memes and funny pictures. The service allows you to automatically convert the GIF file you need into the MP4 video sequence. For this:
- Go to www.giphy.com
- Use the search bar to find the GIF you need by entering the keywords you need in the search field. For example, a funny dogs.
- Click on the Instagram social network button, and in the window that opens, enter your email address
- Check your mail – you will receive a letter from the service, in the attachment to which there will be a file with a clip in MP4 format.
- Put the received attachment in the gallery of pictures of your smartphone or tablet, and from there publish the video using the standard Instagram application.
To start, we will need to have a GIF that we want to publish. We can get lost on the Internet and search among millions of options, or we can also use one of these applications and create our own GIFs.
Currently, it is not possible to share GIFs on Instagram, although there are a number of tricks that will help us bypass this restriction. Giphy is one of the most important GIF platforms, where we can find millions of moving images.
Instagram only accepts photos and videos, so we will have to convert them to GIF to video. The easiest way is to go to Giphy and choose one of those that appear on the platform or upload one from our team.
If we are on a mobile device we can allow Giphy to directly open the Instagram application or simply save it in memory and upload it at another time.
Imgur Alternatives For Giphy to upload the GIF In Instagram
Imgur is another important platform where you can upload and find millions of GIFs. If we create an account, we can upload the GIFs we want and then view them from the mobile device, download them in video format and publish them.
If you like slightly more complicated things and use Photoshop, there is a way to convert GIFs to videos. We simply have to open the GIF, go to File> Export and Render Video.
Send GIFs via your iPhone using GIPHY
We can all recognize that posting on Instagram is more accessible than on your computer. This is why the GIPHY app, which is available on the App Store and Play Store, which you can download for free, allows you to easily share GIFs:
- Find the GIPHY app in the App Store or Play Store, select Download
- Launch the app, then find the GIFs you want to download
- Click on Share in the bottom right, it will give you options on how you can share it.
- Click the Instagram Icon
- You will be asked to allow GIPHY access to your photos, then select Accept
- You will have two options for publishing: history, publication, or channel
In case you select a plot, the GIF will take up the entire screen and almost completely remove most of the image, here are some workarounds:
- Leave Stories> Restart Stories> Select a GIF image from your photo library, then it will display the entire GIF
Also Read:How to Print Test Page Online
Post GIFs to your Instagram stories
Instagram stories and news feeds are two different things, stories last only 24 hours, and your subscribers can view them until the news feed is saved in your gallery and it will not be deleted if you do not delete them.
You can also see who the people who watched your story, unlike the feed, you only see likes and comments. Here’s how to post GIFs directly to your stories without using GIPHY, this time we’ll use a GIF keyboard as a workaround
- In the App Store, find the GIF Keyboard, download the application, and then launch it.
- Then you will need to go to your Settings then select GIF on the Keyboard and allow the application access to your keyboard
- Go back to Instagram and then run the stories, you can take a photo or video, or you can also upload one
- Use the GIF keyboard and you can launch it using the alphabet in the lower left of the keyboard
- Detect your desired GIF
- Select and copy the GIF, then run the text box to paste the GIF
How to set up your own GIF on Instagram
Instagram released an update last 2015, and it included a new feature that they called Boomerang, just how a boomerang works in real life, when you drop it, it will come back right to you, in the images it will move forward and then back in a repeating manner.
Thus, it is still considered a short animated video, just like GIF works. You can share it through your stories or post it directly to your feed.
Sending a boomerang through history
- Running Stories your camera will open
- At the bottom of the screen, it will give you several options, swipe left and then stop when you find the Boomerang function
- Long press to capture the button on the screen while moving the phone or making the object move
Example: shaking the phone, moving the ice cream you hold, or making people move when you take pictures
- The capture button will move as if pressed, if pressed for a long time, it will automatically stop
- After that, you will get a preview of your picture, and if it’s good, you can select the “Share” button at the top of the right corner of the screen.
Using the Boomerang App
Although Instagram has a built-in boomerang function, there is also a separate boomerang grabber application, the steps are as follows:
- Find the Boomerang on the App Store or Play Store
- Download and run the application for free
- Press the capture button and make a long press
- Then select one of the Instagram options to share in your feed.
- You have options to share it in your stories or in your feed, if you select a feed, this will give you the option to resize the image
Share GIFs via Instagram Direct Message (DM)
Sometimes, just for fun, you will come across a GIF, which, in your opinion, is ideal only for someone, and you would like them to see it in person and not publish it in their stories or stream. Here’s how you send GIFs via DM:
- On the main screen at the top of the story, select the DM Button in the upper right corner of the application
- Select stickers, then select GIF icon
- Find your selected GIPHY, then click GIF and click Submit
Why doesn’t Instagram allow me to post GIFs?
Although there are some workarounds that we discussed, although you have already exhausted all possible options, you can still get the error and cannot directly share GIFs on Instagram, here are a few possible reasons:
- The file is not converted to MP4 – Make sure the file is fully converted to MP4, since Instagram only supports the MP4 file, but does not yet support the GIF file. To check if the file name extension is being checked, it should be .mp4, not .gif
Example: Apples.Gif, should be Apples.mp4
- Instagram is deprecated – GIFs have been included in recent updates, and the old version may not yet contain GIF features. To check, visit the App Store or Play Store and see if Instagram has the latest version.
I hope you understand How to Post a GIF on Instagram Now that you’ve seen various ways to upload GIFs to Instagram, you can share your fun and interesting GIFs with your friends and followers. Either using a Mac, PC, or iPhone and iPad, but remember that saving GIFs and mp4 files can take up a lot of space on your Mac or phone. And it’s always best to have an iMac Cleaner to help you clean in an easy way.